THE 11TH HOUR POA:
••••••••• CONCEPT ••••••••
• where is the project most effective? where does it live? DREAMStory resides online and is disseminated through file downloads and casual screenings. It will also be shown as minor entertainment while subtly discussing diabetes and lifestyle issues.
• who will the project matter to? South Asians in New York. South Asians in South Asia. Young South Asians in South Asia.
• how will it change the user? Engender reflection on lifestyle.
• what facts legitimizes the project ?
• why is it important/ valuable? Diabetes is a serious problem for the South Asian community specifically since it is a genetic predisposition.
“Husband tells wife that the doctor has told him he has diabetes. He shows her the doctor’s letter. He says they have to go back to visit the doctor together. Husband tells his wife he’s leaving for work and the wife waves to the husband as he leaves.
Housewife wipes the table and puts a cup of tea on it and sits down. A clock in the background says 10 ‘o clock. Housewife closes her eyes and puts her head on the table.
Suddenly she hears a voice and sits back up. Her eyes widen as she sees it’s the teacup talking to her. The teacup says “I’m getting really cold and there’s to much sugar in me.”
The housewife looks at the teacup and says, “Don’t tell me what to do or how much sugar to put in my tea.” (I’m really worried and a little extra sweetness will help me feel better.) Teacup says “(diet tip regarding sugar to control diabetes). Housewife looks at him, rolls here eyes and walks to the sink saying, “I have work to do and don’t have time to listen to a silly teacup.”
Water runs from tap into sink over a pile of dishes. Housewife puts her hand into sink and pulls out a plate. Plate says to housewife “You know housewife, teacup is right. A little less sugar (healthy substitute) on me.” Housewife gasps and looks closer at the sink. All the spoons and dishes and plates start cleaning themselves while shouting out different things to housewife.
(Messages from the dishes are shouted out as suggestions for the housewife)
Rolling pin finishes cleaning himself and flies over to housewife and leads her to the chair. Teacup slides into housewife’s hands while rolling pin starts talking. Rolling pin tells wife “so what if your husband has diabetes, you can still do so many things”. These ‘things’ are displayed above the housewife’s head.
Insert eureka moment. Female protagonist decides to make a change in her lifestyle.
Protagonist is shown waking up and looking at cold tea in teacup.
There is a sugar bowl on the table.
in new york for south asians, dealing with diabetes
ENTERTAINMENT / INFOTAINMENT
culturally expected motifs, moodboards, visual styles
SOCIAL + CULTURAL COMMENTARY
on south asian dietary patterns in new york
DOMAIN ABOUT AUDIENCE INTENDED
ps. ICT4D sounds so cool.
Sita is a goddess separated from her beloved Lord and husband Rama. Nina is an animator whose husband moves to India, then dumps her by email. Three hilarious shadow puppets narrate both ancient tragedy and modern comedy in this beautifully animated interpretation of the Indian epic Ramayana. Set to the 1920′s jazz vocals of Annette Hanshaw, Sita Sings the Blues earns its tagline as “The Greatest Break-Up Story Ever Told.”
In lieu of a museum, I went to an IFC screening in collaboration with the New York Kids Festival and watched Sita Sings the Blues.
discoveries/questions through observation:
- how can i use text in interesting ways for transitions between scenes?
- could i use a map to begin my story to situate the story and characters?
(eg map of manhattan or queens zooming into home)
- how to use tapestries/ rugs interestingly as background and ambience
- can i have a puppetshow-like display above Laila (name in progress)
- her eureka moment should show: yes i can do this
- what are my strengths? what tools do i have to enhance my work?
CONVERSATION WITH NINA PALEY
Nina was great! She told me to get in touch with Andy London and Biljana Labovic, and research Ravi Swamy. We also spoke about the use of After Effects vs Flash.